Thursday, September 10, 2009

Oh yeah, I blogged it.

9-9-09. Words cannot describe this date. It's the ultimate accessory. Everyone can say that they have a cool birthday, but now I have a trump card.

I know there have been many babies born on their father's birthday, but how many have a birthday of 9-9? Let alone in the year 2009?

How many can say their child was born 9-9-09 when it was 9 days late?
How many can say their child was born on 9-9-09 after being 9 days late and weighed 9 pounds?
How many can say their child was born on 9-9-09 after being 9 days late and weighing 9 pounds and being 19 inches long?
How many can say their child was born on 9-9-09 after being 9 days late and weighing 9 pounds 19 inches long and it still be their 29th birthday?

Not many.

I am one of those few. Many call it destiny, fate, or maybe God's will. I call it the natural order of things.

Last night I got to hold my new daughter for the first time. I can't even begin to describe the feeling. I posted about how I felt anxiety over loving two children. You were right. It just grows. I had no idea.

Yesterday I got to watch my wife fight through pain I can't even fathom, to give life to a child she has only known by her kicks, pokes, and jabs for the last 9 months. I am in awe. I watched her turn into a mother right before my eyes, and I don't think I blinked. My wife is my hero. What an amazing thing to experience. It is what I think watching the Cleveland Browns win the Super Bowl would feel like.

Last evening I sat on the couch, while mom and baby slept, with Audrey's head in my lap while she slept, crying like a little school girl. All the emotions caught up with me. Finally. Babies don't sleep as well as I did last night.

This morning I woke up at 5am, wide awake for no apparent reason. Sleep is a precious commodity these days and here I am wasting it on posting a new blog before I start my day.

The words escape me this morning. I have written and written this post over and over. I have over 17 pages in my moleskine with my emotions, thoughts, views, and observations throughout my day yesterday. All I can muster are these few words.

I logged into Facebook yesterday. For those following my updates there, I am sorry. Facebook and Twitter were not friends. Everything came in out of order, or very very late. My phone hasn't seen as much action as it did yesterday. I had distribution lists set up. With every update it instantly went out to about 30 friends and family, including some very very anxious grandparents in the waiting room. Not long after they got the message, twitter got the message, but Facebook was apparently jerking off in the bathroom most of the day.

When I logged into Facebook I was met with hundreds upon hundreds of status updates, wall posts, and messages my phone had not gotten yet. I stayed up pretty late reading every one of them. Thank you so much. You have made my 29th birthday even more special.

Yesterday morning my wife gave me Cleveland Browns PJ pants, because everyone needs something to open on their birthday.

Yesterday, at 6:33pm, the ultimate birthday gift arrived. As my brother Keith said last night, she came just in time for cake and ice cream.

Before I go any further I must announce the winner of the Baby Pool and Side Bet.
[The official scorecard for the Baby Pool and Side Bet]

Kasey Crabtree. A friend. Someone I would have never met had it not been for Twitter and Positively Cleveland putting me up on a follow Friday. A weekend DJ for WNCX. A totally kick ass chick from Cleveland, is the winner of our baby pool.

Her guess was 18:39 or 6:39pm. Addison arrived at 6:33pm.

Congratulations to Kasey. She will be winning a t-shirt from CLE Clothing Co.

Now because this post has gone on long enough. Here are some photos from yesterday, minutes after our little girl came into this world.

[Thanks again George, got a ton of comments on it!]

[Addison I would say about 1 minute old]

[Mommy and Addison, snuggling]

[Mommy and Addison are catching their breath]

[The 3 most important ladies in my life!]

[Chubby little lady, 9lbs 11oz 19 1/4 inches]

[off to bed with some fresh big sister PJ's]

22 comments:

~DokterKenny said...

Congratulations Adam...She is a beautiful. I am so happy happy to hear everyone is healthy and doing well. Happy Birthday dude!

Vodka Logic said...

What a beautiful blog. So full of emotion. See how easy it is for the love to grow? Thanks for all the updates and pictures.

Still bummed I didn't win. Lol. But happy all are healthy. And what a bunch o freaky stats. She is going to give a run for your money.

Xx

Danica-Dragonfly said...

NINE POUNDS ELEVEN OUNCES .... OWE. Your ladies are gorgeous. Congrats to you ... all of you.

Gonna be a tough birthday to top. :)

JennyMac said...

Congratulations! What a precious little girl. Love the family pic too. Hope Mom and big sis are doing great too.

Will Burke said...

Congrats, dude! You've got a beautiful family, and the energy of a Raver! I didn't think we'd hear from your blog 'till Friday, so thanks fof keeping us in the loop! Now I have to get my wife to read this...
Cheers!
Will

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww congrats! :)

Ekanthapadhikan said...

Congrats, my dear friend. Convey my regards to the happy mother baby too.

Jes said...

congrats!!!!!

(^_^) ♥ said...

Congratulations! You've got a beautiful little family.

Unknown said...

Dude, I've got to say I'm a little jealous. I don't know that I could ever do that (and it's no longer the pain part I'm fully aware that it probably is a pain I've never imagined it's the being responsible for another life.) I have a hard enough time being responsible for me. Tut the two of you are so beaming and happy. Awesome, really, have I already told you congratulations like a million times? well you need to make it a million and one. Congratulations.

Carma Sez said...

Congrats on your new bundle of joy and on all the 9's - impressive!!

Just Jules said...

I feel as though I accomplished something - sillly! But that is how involved you let us be - via our computers. thanks.

as I said somewhere - facebook? I am glad she is not mine, I have had mine. But, mostly because I am so thrilled she is yours. You two will be amazing parents to her (as you already are to her sis)

Jennifer, you look beautiful as a mom. way to go girl, that part is over.

sunshine said...

Happy Birthday and congratulations to you, not only you have a beautiful family but now with a very special new member. Your post was also wonderful and I can't imagine the day your beautiful new daughter will be able to read all about the day she was born and how his wonderful dad shared it with the world!
Wishing you a many more blessings and wonderful moments in you life.

Happy belated 09-09-09!!!

Kyle said...

Congratulations, and Happy Belated Birthday! What an amazing day you must've had! :-)

Anonymous said...

So happy for you!

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

congratulations!!! this is great news!!! so happy for you : )

Jinxxy said...

happy belated birthday, and congrats on your bbay girl! you have a beautiful family!

Mandie said...

Congrats! Happy all worked out for all four of you.

And all those nines go beyond just coincidence... How strange.

(^_^) ♥ said...

So it looks like you aren't the only one to have a knack for nines, I just came across this article "Baby born at 9:09 on 9/9/09 weighs 9 lbs, 9 ounces"

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/str?guid=20090910/4aa887d0_3421_1334520090910704745396

Unknown said...

"CONGRATULATIONS" Your new Darling One is beautiful!!!

[Lance!] said...

How is it that you are the biggest social media abuser I know, and yet the first I know of your new baby is the damn thing busting out of your wife? I must have missed a tweet or two like 9 months ago.

I'm very happy for the both of you! Congats and happy diaper changing.

[Lance]

The4Rs said...

Hey Adam, congrats on your new little one, great parents, great kid! You might remember, me, I am a Verizon customer with my own blog...still love my phone. Hope you get some time off to enjoy your latest endeavor. God bless

San