Sunday, April 5, 2009

Roller Coaster

It's early. 8am on a Sunday is not usual. This is what happens when you forget to tell your BlackBerry to let you sleep in. I forgot. Ever forget? I did.

So I have been up for an hour or so now. This far I haven't gotten anything done at all. I am just sitting here sipping some coffee and catching up on my favorite blogs.

Yesterday was a roller coaster. I went from being on top of the world, ready for anything, to tired, then over to depressed when I realized that work was coming to an end and I was going home to an empty house. Jenn went and visited her sister in New York [Auburn area] for our niece's birthday. It was really a weird day. I had the sense of loss that I was missing something.

This is what happens when you work retail. I was missing something. Audrey's Father/Daughter dance was last night and because I found myself in retail, getting a weekend off was like asking if you can drown your new puppy in the bathtub and having you be cool with it. I was about to leave work when I got a text from Audrey's mom. It was a photo of Audrey and her older sister [my step-daughter] at the dance. I know Audrey's step-dad took her, and part of me was happy she was able to make it, the other part was pissed that I was missing it because I had to work. I know Audrey was having fun and that is all that matters.

Well it was 8:25 and I was out the door, but the dance didn't end for another 35 minutes. I had time to drive there. For those not familiar, I work in Westlake, Ohio and she goes to school in Berea, Ohio. With light traffic, its easily a 30 minute ride. I cut it in half to try and make it before the end of the dance.

I arrived and I found Audrey. Her face was precious. She was so excited to see me. I have never gotten a hug from her that was so embracing. I don't know how her step-dad felt about the whole thing. Part of me was grateful for him being able to take her, and part of me didn't want to steal anyone's thunder. I did thank him for taking her, but if I stole his thunder, oh well because being Audrey's dad is my thunder to steal. I don't know, but all I know is that I got there for the last 2 songs. YMCA and then Butterfly Kisses as a finale. I got to dance with her for the last dance and I got to go home.

She left with step-dad after we had a moment in the parking lot. I was walking her to the car and she started to cry. I asked her why she is crying and she said, " I want to leave with you." I told her that it was her night with mom. She then asked, "Who is going to take care of me because I was going to be alone tonight?" It warms my heart that she likes to take care of me. She just wanted to keep me company because she knows how much I hate being at home with out Jenn or her.

She ended up leaving and going back to mom's. I then went back home and farted around on Facebook, cleaned up the house a little, and went to bed relatively early. 11:30 or so.

I am looking forward to tonight. Jenn comes home, and I get to post PODCast #2. I have a special guest coming over to share some music with us. Two awesome things! Excited isn't the word, but it's close.

No comments: