Friday, December 18, 2009

Throwing Quarters Podcast [Bigger, Better, and Uncut]


Well 2009 is quickly coming to a close.

It's been one hell of a year for not only the blog as a whole, but also the podcast.  It went from idea to reality so fast it's hard to believe everything that went on.  Here is a recap.

This year we have had a whole bunch of different guests.

My friend Amber was the first guest/co-host way way back.

My brother Steve made an appearance.

My other brother Keith was on as we took the show on the road to Chicago and his improv group Legitimate Beef was on.  They were hilarious, they were back in episode 6.

A fellow blogger and do-gooder, Julie [Tangobaby] was on the show back in Episode 7.

Then we took it into Season 2.

We had Alexa from Cleveland's a Plum on the show to kick off Season 2.  Alexa, as you might know, went on to be awarded the "Best Blogger in Cleveland" award by Cleveland Magazine.  This episode was also when Dan Ryan came to the show and became the announcer of Throwing Quarters.

Like I said before, Dave Ritz broke Throwing Quarters' live music cherry with a great great set.  In that same show we also met another blogger buddy from Minnesota, Jules from Just Jules.

Then we had on Adam Taylor and Kate Young live at the Barley house and we also met what would become a good friend and fellow guest blogger, Kasey Crabtree.  That show was the most stressful, and also the most fun of all the shows.

Then on the latest episode we had Ken and Jim from the up and coming Cleveland band, Vendetta Point.  We played 3 tracks on the show that you cannot hear ANYWHERE else for download.

This little show has grown.  Each show got a little better.  Each show was a little different.

Now this leads me into the next evolution.

Over the past few days I have been sleeping like crap.  I have been up all night thinking about a ton of things as it relates to my little podcast.  I wanted to take it to the next level and I knew I couldn't do it all on my own.

So yesterday morning I sent out an email to some key people in my vast network.  I gave them this long drawn out vision of my podcast.  Where I wanted to take it and why I needed their help and why I think they would be the best people for the job.

With in hours I got back tweets, e-mails, and a long phone call that was one of the best phone calls ever.  All of the pieces are in place for the next season of the podcast.


Let me start at the top.

I have been listening to all of the feedback I have gotten.  Many of you wanted a more regular podcast.  So starting with this new season, I have put together a production schedule for the remainder of the year.  It will be on the same day, same time, every month.  So instead of going months with out a podcast, you will get it like clock work every month at the same time.  Keep reading, I will tell you when that is.

Next, many of you wished that you could interact as we put on the show.  Well, I am glad to say I have figured out a way for you to interact with the show.

Next, many of you wished that they could see what happens in the process of making a podcast.  You wanted to see behind the curtain if you will.  Well, I am really glad to say that this season's podcast is NOT only going to have killer audio, but you are going to be able to watch us produce it.

As the ideas in my head kept popping I got more and more excited.  A phone call a few weeks ago made me realize that I needed to have more than just me too.  I needed people that I was comfortable enough around to talk to, but I didn't want to have people in the studio and behind the microphone that were ultra green, and also, ultra nervous.

That is when I enlisted the help of 2 trusted friends.  I want you to meet the 2 new additions to the Throwing Quarters Team.

Kasey Crabtree has quickly become a very close and dear friend.  You may remember the stellar guest post a few weeks back.  She is a real radio professional currently on the air with WNCX Saturday mornings from 10am-2pm.  She spins classic rock, but has been behind the mic for nearly 16 years.  When she got my e-mail she called me later that night and we talked for a long time about what my vision was.  She is ready to help, and I cannot wait to start the next season with her sitting across from me.

Dan Ryan and I met in broadcasting school of all places.  We were energetic students who had a huge desire for radio, and a disdain for television production and it showed.  When I first met Dan the first thing I noticed was for his ability to cut through a room with only his voice.  I mean you could hear it down the hall.  He and I collaborated quite a bit through the radio program at school, and after school he moved away.  Not too long ago through FaceBook, we reconnected and ever since, he has been a part of the show.  His Hollywood Spin this next season is going to blow away anyone else's ability to report on the entertainment industry.

Not only are we going to have 2 new co-hosts and collaborators, but we are also going to have a new format.

Our production schedule is going to start on the 3rd Sunday of January.  We will start the show promptly at 8pm and we are going to do the whole thing from start to finish, live.  We are going to broadcast the audio on uStream and also have what Kasey has dubbed, a fly on the wall cam.  Using uStream not only will you have the ability to interact with the show as it is happening, but because you rock, we are also going to try and incorporate exclusive giveaways on the uStream broadcast.  

Don't worry, if you can't tune in live we are also going to be posting the audio in iTunes like we always have, and also posting it right here in the blog, and we are still are going to stream it on Stitcher for you iPhone, Blackberry, and Droid users.

So there you have it.  The next evolution of the podcast.  Bigger, better, and uncut. 

Set your calendar for January 17 at 8pm, and tune in for The Throwing Quarters Podcast [LIVE].

2 comments:

Vodka Logic said...

Very cool. I have Stitcher so will download if I can't listen live. Sadly I never get Sundays off...

Need any uninteresting guests let me know. :)

Will Burke said...

Oh. Dude, I am so looking forward to that! I'll probably go with the ITunes version!