Thursday, July 23, 2009

It hit me

You can feel it. It's that elusive thought. That next great idea you have. You spend your days thinking about that single thought. It's like sitting in your room all day thinking about how you are going to spend you lottery winnings before you win them. You see the end, but never see what it would take to get there.

This week is a week that makes you question why you do what you do
. [Thanks @muse012]

I have just gotten back to work from a lovely 4 day weekend. It's always hard bouncing back from more than 2 days off. It's like your body adjusts to not working, so by the time you get back you are tired. I'm not sure it is that I am tired, or that customers at work are really as pissed off as they have ever been. It's not very often to get a customer to tell you that they think you are lying, but to have back to back to back customers say the same thing? That's eerie.

So it's weeks like this that makes you think to greener pastures. There is nothing like cleaning up a mess that you did not create to help you think about doing something else with your life.

Truth be told, every job I have held I have started to feel that 3-4 year itch. Is there something better I could be doing? Is there something that has a better work/life balance? It's just past my 3 year anniversary with my company now, and with a inundation of customers who feel it necessary to take out their frustrations on me, it got me thinking again.

After a few blog posts later, a friend of mine offered a suggestion. She recommended a book. I took her up on her advice and started to read. She was absolutely correct. It struck a chord with me. I find inspiration in the words in this book. It makes me think that somethings CAN happen, but I need to find MY thing first.

So tonight while I was walking the dog, it hit me. I have been trying to write a book for sometime, but every time I start writing, I lose that scent. I have equated writing something longer than a blog post to finding lost children in the woods. But this is different now. I have written the better part of a book already and didn't realize it. I went back and looked at all my blog posts. If printed it would represent 250 + pages of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.

That is a ton. But the book I am now working on isn't just printing my blogs. It's about telling story. I have come together and started reading what I have, oh and by the way, I have officially written three times more than any other idea. I have so much material, and it has been at my finger tips the whole time. It's like the dude who invented the little plastic tips on shoelaces must have felt when he came up with THAT idea.

I will let you know how it goes. I haven't had this much inspiration before and it hasn't been so easy to write before. I find myself constantly coming up with the next part of my story.

When it hits you, it knocks you down. Just wait, you will want to buy this book of mine. So if you are, or know someone who is, a book publisher, literary agent, or otherwise, let me know. I will pitch you my book idea.

Until then, I have to announce that my latest guest canceled on me, so I am scrambling to put together the next podcast. Julie gave me the best idea and since some other people seem interested in helping me out, I will open it up to YOU.

Next Thursday July 30th I am going to be calling fellow Twitter pals, Facebook Pals, and blogger pals and I want you to tell me a true story in 2-3 minutes [this isn't a hard time limit]. I am going to record it and edit it down to a show. If you live near me, we can have you over and you can do it right here in the Couch Potato Studios. If you are interested, let me know via e-mail [it's on the right hand column of the blog] and we can set up a time I can boot up Skype and call you or you can stop by and sit down and hang over some beers. I am off all day so I got nothing but time on that particular day. If I get enough material or volunteers, I can sut it up and use it in multiple shows through out the rest of the season.

The inspiration never ends.

In other news. At least for today, you just read a blog written by the #1 Sales man in my district at work. I am in the top 10 in the whole state of Ohio. At least for today. It makes me feel good.

6 comments:

Chapter Two said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cali said...

Aglet.... That is the tip of a shoe lace... Thank god for Disney.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being #1 salesman! that is something to be proud of.

i feel the same way. i think it's the hallmark of the 20 something blogger.

Unknown said...

What happened with the 2-3 min story compilation podcast?

Marvellous Arinze said...

I'm very crazy about your post i must confes is good.

Unknown said...

Hello. While on the surface, it does not appear that we have much in common, I just wanted to let you know that I loved your comments about writing and a thought hitting you. I have felt the very same way. I started blogging a little over a year ago and did not realize until I got going that I was a writer. Congrats on being a blog of note and keep on writing! Lisa